This past weekend I finished a quilt top! I am so happy to have this project completed - it is a very special quilt top that has slept dormant in my sewing room for WAY too long. You see, this is not just any old quilt top, but a top created with blocks donated by members of the Modern Quilters of Ireland and supporting quilters (blogged about here).
The idea was to create a top for Bee Blessed that might be suitable for a fella. The only instructions to members was to use blue/green in the block on a white background. What the members created was just beautiful, with each block complimenting the next.
I was only to arrange them, add sashing and finish the top off with a border. I had arranged them nicely on my design wall, so that the lights/darks were evenly distributed. However, when I stitched the rows together, rows two and three got switched around. This lands the two "heavy" blocks together in rows three and four. Ah, well. These things happen.
I decided to sash it with a Moda print I had remaining after a 241 Tote I made for my Mom years ago. I have always really liked this print, but it does not jive well with the rest of my stash. It therefore is never used. This fabric is a tone on tone blue with navy filigree pattern. It's not too floral for a fella, I liked the blue with the blocks and I had more than enough yardage. Score.
This top will leave Galway this week to live in Belfast. Judith and Sarah, we love what you have created with Bee Blessed and we hope you can find a nice home for this quit.