You see, the trouble was that these blocks came to me in a huge range of sizes. Although it was to be a 12 1/2 inch block, I had some as small is 11 1/4 inches! I pulled apart six of them to re-stitch and enlarge them, but it just drove me mental. I put them whole pile of them away and they collected dust.
However, when the FAL for 2014 kicked off, it was a great excuse to force myself to dive in again. I am not going to finish this quilt off by the end of the month, but I am quite pleased to have even started it again! You will surely see it again on my second quarter FAL list.
I have been messing with the layout, finding one that would be accommodating of several different sized blocks. I had 12-13 blocks that were 12 1/2 inches square, so I set them on point as the center of the top, as you see above. I have another 8 blocks that will be positioned around the top as a border, four at the mid point of each side and at the four corners. That's the plan anyway!
Only the 8 blocks in the border to go, then. I am really looking forward to layering this quilt. It is going to be the first full quilt that I had quilt and I can not wait to get started! I'll need your advice when I hit that point, so start having a think of a quilting pattern and perle colors. Decisions decisions!
If you are into making a block like this yourself, I wrote a tute for it back in Oct 2012 for Rhonda's Finish Along.