What did I stitch? Most of my time was spent sewing a super top secret project that needs to be finished in the next few weeks. I had finished foundation pieing my scrappy strips a while ago (using a tutorial by Coriander Quilts) so this weekend I added on the side triangles. Here I am using Essex Linen in Medium Aqua. I'm delighted with my background color choice. Adding on the side triangles gave me a bit of time to pay better attention and visit with each of my favorite fabrics. I even found a few accidental fussy cuts!
I ripped out the foundation paper from all 72 diamond shapes. Nearly lost my mind doing that, so I had to watch a movie or two while ripping....
Even though foundation paper piecing is usually very exact, my biased side triangles got a bit wonky with ironing. I had to do a bit of trimming, which made the final blocks less wonky. Thank goodness I took the time to do that or else you'd find me in the loony bin today.
Eight little subunits became four quarter squares and eventually half blocks. I love how quickly block come together at the end of piecing a top. All of the preparation finally becomes rewarding.
In this project the seams could (did!) get quite bulky, so I pressed open at nearly every opportunity. It's not my favorite thing to do as I burn my fingers as much as I press seams, but you do what you have to do.
The top is finished now (woo hoo!) and the back pieced. I am absolutely delighted to be this close to finished. It's going to my friend Liz to be professionally quilted. With all of those little seams weakened by ripping out the paper, I want to be sure it's securely quilted before it goes to its forever home. Into the post today!
This is number seven on my FAL 2016 list. Getting closer to checking it off!