Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Nearly there!

I live in Galway.  It's a lovely town tucked inland a wee bit from the Atlantic Ocean.  It is (in my opinion) one of the most beautiful places on Earth.  Why, then, is it not a booming metropolis where EVERYONE wants to live?  Well, I'll tell you.  It rains.  A lot.

Today was no exception.

I have had enough of the wet weather (apparently the wettest winter since records began in 1866) especially now that the sun is out later into the night.  So, rain or no rain I brought the quilt I am binding out to the line for photos.  I'll show you, rain.  Humpf.


Right. When I realized this was the best photo I was going to get, I went back inside.  Stinker.  

This quilt is a small (42x42 inches) made for a little person in Mexico City.  I am trying to keep it gender neutral, but it is looking more and more girly to me.


On Monday night I quilted a spiral concentric square/rectangle starting in the charm squares. It's quite organic in that each line is not spaced as the last, but generally speaking I tried to keep to straight lines.  I think you can see the quilting a bit better on the back.


I have to say, this was possibly the most quilting fun I've had quilting in AGES.  It's a good thing, too.  This is a motif I'd like to try with Electronica some day.


With the two stripes of yellow and blue and the bold red on the back, I choose a binding with all three colors.  Now, this is the first time I've used a light color binding.  I usually like a dark binding to frame the quilt, so this is a small adventure for me.  So far I like how it ties the quilt together, but I reserve judgement until it's finished and washed.


Tomorrow night I'm meeting up with the Galway Ladies to stitch our late afternoon away.  We have to bring hand work only, so with any luck I'll have this cutie finished tomorrow night.  Boy that feels good.







17 comments:

cheeky monkey said...

Did you know that Dublin is the 7th wettest city in Europe? It is not even the most humid city and it hits place 10 on the city with the most rainy days. So nothing to complain about the rain but I am delighted to stitch with you tomorrow. We both will not be freezing :)

Ruth said...

It turned out really lovely Cindy. I like the bright binding!

Fran said...

Gorgeous quilt, and I love the backing!

Tomomi McElwee said...

Looking good! Enjoy stitching tomorrow!

Strawberry Patch said...

I'm with you on the rain, Charlie hates walking in the wet and walking a sulky dog is no motivator for me! The quilt looks great though, despite the rain!

Svetlana said...

what a sweet quilt. And I'm almost getting jealous about all that rain. We've had snow for the last 3 months and the temps are still 10 - 20 degrees below zero. Yuck!

Paula said...

What a gorgeous quilt top, cute, bright and cheery and perfect to brighten up some little person's day. I lived in Galway for years and you are right, it is a wonderful place to live. I still miss it, rain and all.

Sarah said...

Sweet little quilt. I like your light binding. Like you I mostly go darker but have occasionally gone light and loved the change.

Annabella said...

Fab little quilt - think of the joy it will give a little person.

pennydog said...

That's lovely, hope the weather picks up soon.

Indianna said...

It's a lovely, bright and cheerful quilt ... Unlike the weather!

Rose said...

Such a cute quilt, love the bright colors. Even with all your rainy days, one day (before I'm too old to travel!) I hope to visit Ireland.

Katy Cameron said...

Ah yes, we have the same issue (same coastal front ;o) ) It's been torrential all week, so fed up now! Hope you all have a fab time tonight :o)

QuiltCandy said...

What a gorgeous quilt, thank you for getting wet to take a photo!! I am sure it will be much appreciated by someone in need of comfort.

Jodi B. said...

I feel your pain....with the rain. I'm in Atlanta GA USA and it is cold and pouring. However, your quilt is a ray of sunshine. The backing fabric is the cutest!

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

That quilt is so cute! Sorry about the weather (I think my street is competing for a place on the list of 'Windiest places' - there's a near constant breeze coming either down the street (off the hills) or up the street (off the sea - blooming bitter it is, too!). The wind does stop sometimes...in the summer when the sun is blazing and you could do with a breath of wind to freshen you up!

Sarah said...

It's a gorgeous quilt. So bright and happy! I live in part of Australia that's so windy, so may days a year with wind on our little peninsula. Would be nice to be wetter! Can you see I'm a farmers daughter? Always need more rain....heehee.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Label Cloud

241 tote all heart appeal antique applique apron art quilt aurifil award baby quilt back background bag basket batik bee Bee Blessed Big Stitch Swap bird's nest birdie stitches birthday blankets of love block blog blogaversary blogger bundle bloglovin' BOM book brit bee brooch bundle bunting business card holder camping cathedral window chain piecing chaos charm pack charm squares charm swap chickens Christmas class clothes color commission community community quilt contest craft craft fair cross cross stitch Cúchulainn cushion design wall diaper Do.Good Stitches donation double wedding ring drawing dress eclipse election electronica embroicery embroidery eraser stamp exhibit fab fabric fabric tape facebook FAL farmers journal fat eight fat quarter fat quarterly feature festival of quilts film finish finish along flag flickr flying geese FMQ FNSI frame Free Motion Friday free motion quilting friends fugly Galway Galway Now gift giveaway goal goals goodie goodie swap granny mania granny squares graph guest blog guild hand puppet hand quilting hand sewing happy hat help hexagons hey girl hospital hot pad HST I Spy ICA improv innovation award inspiration interview invitation ipad ipad cover IPS IQFOI Irish chain Japanese key fob kind stitches knit knitting knitting and stitching kona lattice illusions laugh launch learning lecture Liberty linky list little star loops love on the blocks LQS Day magazine market medallion mennonite miniquilt mixer cover mod logs Mod Pop QAL modern blocks Modern Irish Bee modern irish quilters modern quilt guild modern quilt guild bee modern stitching Modern Stitching Bee monster mouthy stitches mug rug mural name name game name tag napkin needle book new york beauty newsletter Nieve notebook cover overlocker panel paper piecing patchwork pattern Pay it forward Peace Valley peanut butter perle cotton pezzy pizazz photograph PIF pillow pillowcase dress pin cushion pinwheel PJ placemat podcast polka dot pom pom portholes post pouch precut puffy pouch puppy purse QAL quilt quilt exhibit quilt frame quilt top quilter in the gap quilting Rainbow Charm Swap research retreat retroflower review sale sampler scarf science scrap scraps screen printing seams selvage sew and bee happy Sew Bee Blissful sewing machine sewing room shop significant sizzix sketch skirt solid spools stall stand star stargazing start your own stitched in color string stuffed super tote surprise swap swoon tablerunner teaching text thumb tack tiles top tote toy travel tree skirt tumbler tutorial twinkle twinkle twitter video vote walk wallet website win WIP wonky house yarn youtube zip

Total Number of Page Views